Downloads & Links
Historic Landscape Characterisation
This characterises the distinctive historic dimension of today’s landscape. This is a complex and multifaceted database concerned with time depth in the landscape as well as present day character comprised of recurrent but not necessarily geographically discrete Historic Landscape Types.
- Historic Landscape Characterisation Report
- Historic Landscape Characterisation Dataset (Zip File Containing .shp (ESRI Shapefile)
- Historic Landscape Characterisation Dataset (Zip File Containing .tab (Mapinfo TAB)
(Wyvern Heritage and Landscape Consultancy, 2012; Conway 2007)
Historic Landscape Character Areas
These are akin to Landscape Character Areas in that they identity geographical discrete areas, with distinctive historic environment characteristics. These highlight surviving time‐depth and the legibility and the enjoyment of the past in the present landscape. They identify the North Wessex Downs landscape’s cultural, historic and archaeological attributes and the importance of change through time as a primary characteristic. They provide a systematic overview of the characteristics of the historic landscape in the AONB and identify the special qualities and features of significance within the historic landscape.
- North Wessex Downs AONB Historic Landscape Character Areas Report March 2016.pdf
- Historic Landscape Area Dataset (Zip File Containing .shp and .tab)
(Wyvern Heritage and Landscape Consultancy, 2015)
- North Wessex Downs AONB - Explore the Heritage Sites of the AONB in the Interactive Map listing. You can also Browse Map Categories.
- Walking the Wessex White Horses - Day walks, short circular loops - downloadable Apps & Maps.
- Wiltshire Museum - The Wiltshire Museum, formerly known as Wiltshire Heritage Museum and Devizes Museum, is a museum, archive and library and art gallery in Devizes, Wiltshire.
- Beacon Hill - One of the best known hill forts in England and the site of the most famous beacon in Hampshire.